How to Gain Weight
Your site gives advise on how to lose and manage weight. Can you give me some insight on how to gain weight in a reasonably healthy way?
It costs 3500 calories to gain one pound. That means, in order to gain one pound in one week, you'd have to eat 500 extra
calories every day for one week (500 x 7 = 3500).
Here are some tips to getting in those extra calories:
- Eat frequently! Plan to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks every day.
- No skipping meal and snack. Consistency is important.
- Add "extras" to foods: Olive oil, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocados, honey, jam, dried fruit, nonfat dried milk powder, etc.
- Drink higher calorie beverages: milk, juice, nectar, and protein shakes instead of water, coffee, tea, or diet sodas.
- Eat slightly larger than normal portions at meals.
Here's a sample of high calorie menu:Breakfast
Bowl of granola cereal with raisins and banana topped with lowfat milk. Drink a glass of OJ.Snack
Nuts and dried fruit.Lunch
Tuna melt sandwich. Eat with a bowl of lentil soup. Drink a glass of juice.SnackProtein shake
Grilled chicken with a generous portion of pasta. Eat with garlic bread and drink a glass of milk.Snack
Bagel spread with peanut butter.
Hope that helps!
Please contact me for personalized nutrition counseling if you'd like to set a phone appointment to further discuss appropriate portion sizes and additional menu suggestions.
Keep us updated as to how you're doing!