Satisfy your sugar craving without feeling guilty or causing damage to your waistline with this list of my favorite low calorie sweet substitutes.
1. Vitalicious VitaTops - These will only set you back 100 calories and they're high in fiber too!
If you're trying to tame a chocolate cake, chocolate muffin, chocolate cookie or brownie craving... you'll LOVE these! Heat them in the microwave for an extra delicious treat.
2. Jell-O Sugar Free Pudding Snacks - These are only 60 calories and perfectly portion controlled.
The Double Chocolate flavor is a chocolate lovers dream, but check out the other flavors too. One of my favorite ways to eat pudding is to spread a little on graham crackers and freeze ahead of time. YUM!
3. Lowfat Frozen Fudge Bars - Great on hot summer days! My favorite brands for 100 calories or less include:
4. Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa Mix - Great to a satisfy a sugar craving on cold winter days! They're only 25 calories each. Top with a little Cool Whip Free to feel hyper-indulgent.
5. Cliff Junior Bars - These will set you back a tad more than 100 calories (120-140) but I think they're well worth the few extra calories and they're easy to find in any natural food stores.
ALL the flavors are great, but if you heat the brownie flavor in the microwave, you'll swear you're eating a hot brownie out of the oven.
Note: Many of the foods recommended here are sweetened with fake sugars. I suggest avoiding artificially sweetened foods in general to stop a sugar craving in the first place. The foods listed here aren't necessarily "health foods" like naturally occurring fruits are...
...but they're certainly better than their high fat/high sugar counterparts!
7. Fat Free or Low Fat Ice Cream - (100-150 calories) There are lots of flavors and brands to choose from in this category but I think the best tasting is:
Note: If you have trouble regulating your serving sizes, opt for pre-portion-controlled dessert bars, sandwiches and cups to satisfy your sugar craving:
8. Lowfat Ice Cream Sandwiches and Cups- (100-150 calories) There's a defined beginning and end to an ice cream sandwich or cup, so portion control is a no brainer.
Just don't go back for seconds! My favorite brands:
9. Light Ice Cream Bars and Frozen Fruit Bars - (90-130 calories)
10. Popsicles - (15-45 calories) These fruity childhood favorites are great to satisfy adult sugar cravings too!
What foods do YOU use to satisfy your craving for sugar? If you have a favorite food or a great tip you'd like to share with the other readers on this site, fill out the form below to submit your favorite ways to curb sugar cravings.
More Healthy Eating.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.