Use these quick healthy breakfast ideas to get you off to a running start in the morning:
On-the-Go Breakfast Ideas
- Apple + string cheese + hard boiled egg
- Trail bar + nonfat/lowfat yogurt
- Small baggie of lowfat granola + apple + lowfat string cheese
- Instant oatmeal: Stop at a coffee shop and get a cup of hot water. Add packet of instant oatmeal and stir. Add sliced banana.(Bananas are usually available in coffee shops!).
- Homemade Banana Muffin + hard boiled egg + small carton OJ
Healthy Breakfast Meals for Bread/Toast Lovers
- Peanut butter toast: Spread natural peanut butter on toasted whole grain bread. Top with sliced bananas.
- Almond butter toast: Spread almond butter on toasted whole wheat English muffin. Top with apple slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Whole wheat toaster grain waffle + natural peanut butter + apple butter. Dot with raisins.
- Whole wheat English muffin + lowfat cream cheese or goat cheese + lox (smoked salmon) + onion slices + tomato slices.
- Melt lowfat mozzarella on whole grain bread. Top with tomato slices.
Breakfast Ideas for Cold Cereal* Lovers
- Whole grain cold cereal + skim milk + sliced banana
- Lowfat granola mixed into plain lowfat yogurt. Stir in strawberries or blueberries.
- Breakfast parfait: In a parfait glass, layer lowfat flavored yogurt, whole grain cold cereal, and berries. Alternate layers. Sprinkle ground flaxseeds on the top.
* Choose a cereal with:
- at least 5 grams fiber
- less than 3 grams sugar per 100 calories
- no high fructose corn syrup
- no hydrogenated oil
Some of my favorite quick healthy breakfast cereals:
Breakfast Ideas for Hot Cereal Lovers
- Barbara's or Kellogg's Shredded Wheat
- Kashi Cereals: Go Lean, Heart to Heart, Seven Whole Grain, Good Friends
- Nature's Path Heritage Cereals
- Nature's Path Optimum
- Post Shredded Wheat and Bran
- US Mills Uncle Sam's
- Ezekiel multigrain cereals
- Health Valley Lowfat Granola
Note: Try Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes Gluten-Free Hot Cereal in place of oatmeal in any of the above suggestions.
- Top cooked oatmeal with slivered almonds. Mix in fresh or frozen peach slices. Top with a dollop of plain nonfat yogurt.
- Stir flavored protein powder into cooked oatmeal (vanilla and cinnamon flavors work well). Sprinkle with raisins and walnuts.
- Stir natural peanut butter into cooked oatmeal. Top with sliced bananas.
- Stir sliced apples, cinnamon, and raisins into cooked oatmeal.
Here's a list of everything that mixes well with oatmeal:
- Fresh or frozen blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or raspberries
- Fresh or frozen cherries
- Sliced or diced apples
- Pear slices
- Fresh or frozen peaches
- Dried fruit: raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, dried figs
- Fresh or dried dates
- Sliced kiwi
- Sliced bananas
- All natural fruit spread
- Pumpkin butter
- Apple butter
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Apple pie spice
- Ground ginger
- Vanilla extract
- Nuts: sliced almonds, chopped macadamia nuts, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans
- Natural peanut butter or almond butter
Breakfast Menu Ideas For Egg Lovers
- "Deviled Eggs:" Remove yolk from hard boiled egg. Fill with hummus. Eat with 1 apple.
- Poached egg + whole grain toast. Eat with 1/2 grapefruit.
- Egg white omelet + vegetables + lowfat cheese. Wrap in whole wheat tortilla.
- Scrambled egg + spinach + scallions. Wrap in whole wheat wrap. Eat with berries.
- Homemade "Egg McMuffin:" Toast whole wheat English muffin. Top with turkey sausage and scrambled egg whites. Eat with fresh mixed fruit or Dole fruit cup.
Miscellaneous Breakfast Ideas
- Egg white french toast. Sprinkle with crushed walnuts. Stir frozen blueberries into 100% pure maple syrup, heat in microwave, then serve over french toast.
- Mix lowfat cottage cheese + lowfat fruit flavored yogurt. Sprinkle with berries and slivered almonds.
- Lowfat cottage cheese + fresh, frozen, or canned (in own juice) peaches or pineapple. Sprinkle with crushed walnuts.
- Lowfat cottage cheese + salsa. Serve atop a toasted whole wheat English muffin.
- Fruit smoothies: Basic Recipe= Blend 1 cup water or skim milk + 1 scoop protein powder + frozen berries.
- Hi Protein latte: Blend 1 cup water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1 Tablespoon instant coffee + ice (or frozen cubes of your favorite coffee). Add sugar free syrups if you like (sugar free caramel syrup, vanilla, etc). Eat with a piece of fruit.
These suggested healthy breakfast ideas are well balanced nutritionally, but you'll have to decide on portions!
Use my FREE healthy meal planner template to plan your breakfasts in advance!
(See FREE sample meal plans with proper portions and menu ideas for 1200 calorie, 1500 calorie, and 1800 calorie diets.)
Leave Breakfast Ideas and See ALL Healthy Quick Meals
More of My Professional Advice You May Like
Free Weight Loss Help
Your Personal Nutrition Guide Home Page