by Debbie Herman
Reading level: Ages 4-8
Available in English and Spanish
Carla's Sandwich is a charming story that delivers a message about the joys of being different.
However, it can also be used as a springboard for discussing and inspiring your child's own creative sandwich "masterpieces."
That's why this dietitian gives this childrens book an A+!
Carla sure brings some "weird and gross" sandwiches for lunch. Her classmates ridicule and isolate her as a result:
- Olive, Pickles, and Green Bean Sandwich
- Banana Cottage Cheese Delight
- Chopped Liver, Potato Chips and Cucumber Combo
- Lettuce, Tomato, Raisin, Bean Sprout, Pretzel, and Mayonnaise Sandwich
It's only when Buster the bully forgets his lunch one day and Carla so generously shares hers that the moral of the story is realized: "different" can actually be good.
I grew up taking peanut butter and pickle sandwiches for lunch, so maybe that's the underlying reason I love this book so much. :)Nutrition Activities:
After Reading Carla's Sandwich
Create your own fun sandwich combinations:
- Include a fruit AND a vegetable in a sandwich combination.
- See how many different colors (of fruits and veggies) you can squeeze between 2 pieces of bread.
- Make up funny names for your new sandwich creations.
- Email me the "recipes" for your "masterpieces" and I'll post them here.
More nutrition books for kids I recommend.
More of my professional advice you may find helpful:
Nutrition for Kids
Quick Kid Friendly Meals
Your Personal Nutrition Guide Home Page