Grocery List Template
Blank Grocery Shopping List
Use this grocery list template along with my downloadable grocery list to create a master grocery list.
After all, making a grocery check list and shopping regularly are the first steps toward establishing a good diet.
You can't eat right if you don't have the right foods on hand, and you won't have the right foods around if you don't shop!
I created this healthy grocery shopping list template in a way that helps you see what types of food you need to buy and in what proportions you need to buy them in order to have a healthy well balanced diet.
The base of your diet (and therefore the base of every meal) should include fruits and vegetables. There is therefore the most space on the blank grocery shopping list (relative to the other food groups) to plan for buying a variety of colorful produce*.
You should eat only small amount of added fats and sweets so there is only a small space on the master grocery list for these types of foods.
Get the idea?! This grocery list template will remind you how you should be eating and help you shop accordingly.
See this sample grocery list template to get an idea of what your healthy grocery shopping list should look like!
Using the handful of items on the sample grocery list template you could put together ALL of the following meals:
- Oatmeal with blueberries, strawberries, and or sliced bananas with a sprinkling of almonds.
- Yogurt parfait made with layers of plain nonfat yogurt, berries, and lowfat granola.
- Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and bananas.
- Fruit smoothie made with skim milk, berries and ice.
- Turkey sandwich with mustard, baby spinach, cucumbers, and red bell peppers. Eat with grapes.
- Turkey sandwich with purple cabbage slaw (shred cabbage and apples and mix with balsamic vinegar). Eat with an orange.
- Peanut butter and strawberry sandwich on whole wheat bread. Eat with baby carrots.
- On the go: whole wheat crackers + lowfat cheese + apple + almonds
- Grilled chicken + brown rice or quinoa + steamed broccoli or asparagus.
- Baked sweet potato topped with black beans and shredded lowfat cheese.
- Healthy Salad: Baby spinach + grilled chicken + sliced strawberries + balsamic vinegar.
- Southwestern salad: Baby spinach + sliced red and yellow bell peppers + black beans + garbanzo beans + shredded lowfat cheese + salsa and/or lime juice for dressing.
- frozen grapes
- frozen banana chunks
- cottage cheese + cucumbers + cherry tomatoes on rice cakes
- whole wheat crackers + peanut butter
- melted chocolate drizzled on strawberries
- handful of almonds and glass of skim milk
- Mix cottage cheese with yogurt. Stir in berries.
Dietitian Tip: Making a Master Grocery List Template
Create a grocery list of "core" items you buy every week that includes:
- 2-4 protein sources
- 2-5 different colorful fruits*
- 2-5 different colorful vegetables*
- At least 1 healthy fat source
- 2-4 different healthy starches
*Tips on Making a Grocery List:
Choose A Rainbow of Fruits and Vegetables
- Red: blood oranges, cherries, cranberries, pomegranates, radishes, raspberries, red apples, red beets, red bell pepper, red grapefruit, red grapes, red onions, red pears, red plums, strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon
- Orange: apricots, cantaloupe, carrots, nectarines, orange bell peppers, oranges, papayas, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, tangerines
- Yellow: banana, butternut squash, corn, yellow grapefruit, lemons, mangos, peaches, pineapple, yellow apples, yellow bell peppers, yellow squash
- Green: asparagus, artichokes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, celery, cucumbers, edamame, green apples, green beans, green bell peppers, green grapes, green pears, honeydew melon, kiwi, leafy greens, okra, peas, spinach, sugar snap peas, zucchini
- Blue: blackberries, black raspberries, blueberries, eggplant, purple cabbage, purple carrots, purple grapes, purple plums, prunes, purple potatoes, raisins
Knowing what you'll buy before you go into the store saves money and helps prevent impulse buying. Remember to use your grocery list template every week!
Final Dietitian's Words of Wisdom
- Never go to the store without your healthy grocery shopping list.
- Never shop hungry.
More of My Professional Advice You May Find Useful
Another Blank Grocery List
Healthy Grocery List: A Name Brand List of Foods I Recommend
Quick Meal Ideas
Free Weight Loss Help
Your Personal Nutrition Guide Home Page