Vegan Breakfast Ideas
Simple Vegan Breakfast Recipes
These vegan breakfast ideas are fast, easy, well balanced, and sustaining. I wouldn't have it any other way. After all...I am a registered dietitian and providing you with healthy vegan breakfast recipes is what I'm here to do!
All of my vegan breakfast suggestions provide a source of protein, healthy fat, and/or fiber and should therefore keep you full for hours.
Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Vegan Breakfast Ideas: On the Go
- Apple + handful of almonds
- Apple + vegan jerky (ex: Primal Strips Vegan Jerky, Stonewall's Jerquee, Tasty Eats Soy Jerky)
- Instant oatmeal: Throw a packet or two of instant oatmeal* in your purse, briefcase, or backpack. Stop at a coffee shop and get a cup of hot water. Add packet(s) of instant oatmeal and stir. Add sliced banana. (Bananas are usually available in coffee shops!) *Note: "Weight control" instant oatmeal has whey protein added to it and is therefore not vegan.
- High Protein Vegan Bar (ex: Cliff Builder Bars or Organic Food Bar Protein Bars by Bio International)
- Soy yogurt + Vegan Bar (ex: Lara Bar, Earnest Eats Baked Whole Foods Bars, Vega Vibrancy Bars by Sequel Naturals, 100% Organic and Raw Live Food Bars by Go Raw)
- Homemade trail mix: Mix the following in advance and simply take a couple of scoops in the morning to eat on-the-go.*Thanks to Barbara Terner of West Bloomfield, MI for this homemade trail mix vegan breakfast idea!
- Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted Oat Cereal
- Kashi Autumn Squares
- Quaker Oat Squares
- Tart Dried Cherries
- Cinnamon Toasted Almonds (Trader Joe's)
back to top
Vegan Breakfast Ideas: Starbucks
- Suzette's Starbucks Inspired Banana Delight: Purchase a banana and ask for an empty cup. Proceed to slice the banana in the cup and top with some soymilk (available at the counter with the coffee cream). Sprinkle with (lots of) cinnamon. Eat with a spoon.
- Steamed soymilk. Eat with a banana.
- Starbucks "Perfect Oatmeal" + dried fruit + mixed nut medley. Drizzle with soymilk (available at the counter with coffee cream) and sprinkle with cinnamon.
back to top
Vegan Breakfast Ideas: For Bread/Toast* Lovers
- Peanut butter toast: Spread natural peanut butter on toasted whole grain bread. Top with sliced bananas or sliced strawberries. Optional- drizzle with agave nectar.
- Almond butter toast: Spread almond butter on toasted whole wheat English muffin. Top with apple slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Citrus wrap: Spread whole wheat tortilla with almond butter. Top with tangerine cutie segments or canned mandarin orange segments. Roll and eat.
- Tahini toast: Toast whole wheat bread and drizzle with tahini (sesame seed paste). Top with dates or sliced bananas.
- Cinnamon raisin toast: Toast whole wheat bread and drizzle with tahini. Sprinkle with raw sugar and cinnamon. Dot with raisins.
- Avocado toast: Mash ~ 1/4 avocado and spread on toasted whole wheat bread. Top with tomato slices and onion slices.
- Another avocado toast: Mash ~ 1/4 avocado and spread on toasted whole wheat bread. Top with tomato slices a slice of vegan cheese.
- Spread "high protein hummus" (blend 1 pkg tofu + 1 container hummus) on whole wheat English muffin. Top with tomato slices.
- Vegan toaster waffle + natural peanut butter + apple butter. Top with sliced strawberries.
- Whole wheat English muffin + vegan cream cheese + onion slices + tomato slices.
- Melt vegan cheese (ex: Daiya Vegan Cheese) on toasted whole grain bread. Top with lots of tomato slices.
- Waffle sandwich: Toast 2 vegan waffles. Top with vegan Sausage + apple slices + drizzle of maple syrup.
* Note: Most bread, pita breads, plain bagels, and corn tortillas are vegan, but always check the ingredients to be sure. Flour tortillas are often vegan, but some brands contain lard, which is an animal fat. Read labels for presence of eggs, milk, milk powder, whey, butter, lard cheese, mono and diglycerides (can be vegan or animal based) and/or honey.
Use my "Vegan Breakfast Recipes Formula" to come up with your own unique Vegan Breakfast Ideas
Simply choose one item from each of the first 3 columns. The 4th column is optional.Vegan Breakfast Recipes
| Bread || Filling || Fruit or Veggie |
Pick 1 or more
| Sprinklings (Optional) |
| whole grain bread || natural peanut butter || banana || cinnamon |
| whole wheat pita || almond butter || apples || pumpkin pie spice |
| whole wheat lavash || tahini (sesame seed paste) || pears || apple pie spice |
| whole wheat tortilla || sunflower butter || berries || shaved coconut |
| corn tortilla || cashew butter || mandarin oranges || dark chocolate chips |
| rice tortilla || pumpkin seed butter || applesauce || chili powder |
| vegan pancakes* || smashed avocado || tomatoes || cumin |
| vegan waffles* || vegan cheese || onion || agave nectar |
| vegan biscuits* || vegan sausage || bell peppers || maple syrup |
* Brands of Vegan Pancakes, Waffles and Biscuits:
- Van's Organic Frozen Waffles
- Dr. Oetker Organics Pancake and Waffle Mix
- Mom's Vegan Kitchen Biscuit Mix
Use My Breakfast Recipe Formula to Create Vegan Breakfast Ideas Like These
- Vegan pancakes topped with almond butter. Stir strawberries or blueberries into maple syrup, heat and serve over pancakes.
- Whole wheat toast + vegan cheese + apple slices
- Top Van's Organic Waffle with natural peanut butter and applesauce.
back to top
Vegan Breakfast Ideas: Hot Cereal Lovers
Oatmeal is a no brainer for breakfast, but don't forget about other whole grains that can be eaten as "hot cereal" in the morning:
- brown rice
- wheat berries
- buckwheat groats
Simply top with fruit (fresh or dried) and/or a sprinkling of nuts or seeds (ex: almonds, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds) to round out your breakfast.
Try these creative vegan breakfast ideas:
- Top cooked quinoa with pineapple chunks (canned, in own juice, or fresh). Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Top oatmeal with shredded coconut, banana slices and slivered almonds. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Top oatmeal with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast, raisins and wheat germ.
- Top oatmeal with sliced bananas, shredded coconut and a sprinkling of dark chocolate chips.** Top with coconut milk.
** A few good vegan brands of chocolate: Trader Joe's brand chocolate chips, Whole Foods Brand Chocolate Chips, Sunspire, Newman's Own Chocolate Bars: Sweet Dark Espresso and Sweet Dark Orange, Endangered Species Dark Chocolate (most, but not all flavors).
Note: If it "takes too much time" to make hot cereal in the a.m., consider making a pot of it on the weekend and keeping it in the refrigerator. Simply take a portion out and re-heat in the microwave in the morning. Voila...problem solved.
AND...If you can afford a few extra calories, you can even use fruit juice or a milk substitute (almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, rice milk) instead of water in cooking for a slightly different flavor.
back to top
Vegan Breakfast Ideas: Cold Cereal Lovers
Cold cereal topped with a milk alternative (almond milk, rice milk, soy milk or coconut milk) is a quick easy vegan breakfast, but be sure to choose a descent cereal. (Be sure to top with some fruit too!)
Choose a cereal with:
- at least 5 grams fiber
- less than 3 grams sugar per 100 calories
- no high fructose corn syrup
- no hydrogenated oil
back to top
Vegan Breakfast Ideas: Miscellaneous
- Breakfast parfait: Layer soy yogurt, berries, and lowfat granola in a parfait glass, alternating layers. Sprinkle ground flaxseeds on the top.
- 1/2 cantaloupe filled with soy yogurt. Sprinkle with wheat germ and lowfat granola.
- Fruit Smoothie: Blend soymilk + banana + frozen berries.
- High Protein Smoothie - Blend the following ingredients in a blender until smooth:
- Choose a "base fluid": water, almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, coconut milk, or calcium fortified OJ
- Add a scoop of vegan protein powder: pea protein, soy protein, hemp protein, rice protein
- Add fruit: banana, berries, grapes, etc.
- Add ice as desired.
- Mix vanilla vegan protein powder into coconut yogurt. Stir in sliced bananas.
- Breakfast burritos: Fill corn tortilla or whole wheat tortilla (made without lard) with one of the following combinations:
- Mashed tofu + salsa + vegan cheese
- Tofu scramble + black beans + salsa
- Hash browns + vegan cheese + tofu + salsa
- Soy chorrizo + tofu scramble
- "Sausage McMuffin:" Toast whole wheat English muffin. Drizzle with maple syrup. Top with vegan sausage patty.
- Vegan pizza (cold leftovers from a previous dinner).
back to top
More of My Professional Advice You May Find Useful
Vegan Diet Info
Quick Meal Ideas (Includes Veggies and Non-Veggie Ideas)
Your Personal Nutrition Guide Home Page