and Nutrition Facts
1 oz. (~ 1/5 of a medium avocado) has approximately:
- 50 calories
- 4.5 grams of fat
- ~ 2 grams of fiber
Avocado Nutrition Facts
You've probably heard avocados are "good for you."
That's because they're a source of healthy monounsaturated fat which may help to lower cholesterol.
While they are "good for you," the calories in avocado count just like all the other healthy or unhealthy calories you eat.
Too many "good calories" will still shop up on your waistline as extra pounds.
Avocados are calorically dense. That is, they contain a lot of calories in a very small portion size. It's therefore best to consider avocados a condiment...not a main course!
Avocado calories total almost 300 for a whole avocado (6 oz.) and they have 25-30g fat.
That's 20 times the average fat content of other fruits. Yes, they're fruits!
Avocado calories (or guacamole) can be used in place of other typical condiment calories.
Beside being tasty, they're lower in cholesterol and sodium and higher in fiber than most of the other things used to spread on bread:
|avacado nutrition facts and calories in avocado comparison|
| ||Avocado ||Guacamole ||Peanut Butter ||Butter ||Mayo ||Cream Cheese |
|Amount ||1 ounce (~2-3 thin slices or 2 Tbsp.) ||1 ounce (~ 2 Tbsp.) ||1 Tbsp. ||1 Tbsp. ||1 Tbsp. ||1 Tbsp. |
|Calories ||47 ||43 ||95 ||102 ||60 ||51 |
|Total Fat g. ||4.5 ||3.7 ||8.4 ||11.5 ||5 ||5.1 |
|Saturated Fat g. ||0.5 ||0.5 ||1.6 ||7.3 ||0.7 ||3.2 |
|Cholesterol mg. ||2 ||0 ||0 ||30 ||4 ||15 |
|Sodium mg. ||0 ||55 ||75 ||2 ||105 ||45 |
|Fiber g. ||1.9 ||1.7 ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
Nutrition Facts Avocado
- 0 mg sodium
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 8% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for folate
- 4% DV for fiber
- 4% DV for potassium
- 4% DV for vitamin E
- 2% DV for iron
- 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein (also found in eggs)
- 19 micrograms of beta-carotene (also found in pumpkin, sweet potatoes and carrots)
- 76 milligrams beta-sitosterol in a 3-oz serving (Beta-sitosterol is a natural plant compound which may help maintain healthy cholesterol levels.)
Avocado Fact: Nutrition Tip
If the avocado has a slight neck, rather than being rounded on top, it was probably tree ripened and will have better flavor
FYI: If you have a latex allergy, you may also be allergic to avocados (and bananas too).
- Dice and add to jarred salsa
- Add a few slices to healthy salads.
- Make guacamole
- Dice and add to ceviche
- Use slices as a garnish on soup
- See avocado calories comparison above. Smoosh ripe avocados on bread as a healthy replacement for mayonnaise when making a sandwich.
- Sandwich Ideas:
- turkey + avocado + roasted red bell peppers
- turkey + hummus + avocado + onion + tomatoes
- black beans + diced avocado + tomatoes + corn (rolled in a whole wheat tortilla)
- crab meat + plain nonfat yogurt + diced avocado
- stuff whole wheat pita pocket with guacamole, chopped cucumber, shredded carrots, chopped cauliflower, diced tomatoes, sliced fresh mushroom, and shredded lowfat cheese
More of My Professional Advice You May Find Useful
More Food Nutrition Facts
Quick Meal Ideas
FREE Weight Loss Help
Personal Nutrition Guide Home Page