These children snacks are so fun and nutritious, adults will want to eat them too!
Nutritious Snacks For Kids Containing Vegetables:
- Veggie Kabobs: Skewer chunks of raw vegetables to make a kabob (ex.: zucchini, portabello mushrooms, grape tomatoes, bell pepper slices). Dip in plain yogurt mixed with salsa.
- Dip carrot sticks in hummus.
- Fill celery with hummus, natural peanut butter, tuna salad, or chicken salad.
- Use thick slices of red, yellow, orange or green bell pepper to scoop up lowfat tuna salad.
- Small bowl of tomato soup.
Kids Healthy Snacks Containing Fruit:
Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids with Whole Grains
- Fruit Kabobs: Skewer grapes, banana slices, pineapple chunks, and berries to make a kabob. Dip in lowfat fruit flavored yogurt.
- Peel a banana, dip in lowfat fruit flavored yogurt, roll in crushed lowfat granola cereal, and freeze.
- Grill a peanut butter and banana sandwich in a pan prepared with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix small pieces of berries or grapes with 100% grape juice and freeze in popsicle molds.
- Fruit smoothies: Blend skim milk and/or lowfat yogurt with frozen berries.
- Spread apple slices with almond butter.
- Add banana slices to instant oatmeal. Sprinkle with walnuts or almonds.
- Cottage cheese face: Decorate a scoop of cottage cheese with raisin eyes and a banana mouth.
- Mix lowfat ricotta cheese with cinnamon and vanilla. Stir in pineapple tidbits.
- Spread whole grain waffle with natural peanut butter. Top with sliced strawberries.
- Sprinkle air popped popcorn with cinnamon and a little bit of sugar.
- Use cookie cutters with fun shapes to make sandwiches on whole wheat bread: peanut butter and banana, turkey and lowfat cheese, tuna salad prepared with plain yogurt and mustard
- Top baked corn chips with lowfat refried beans and salsa.
- Sprinkle lowfat cheese on a corn tortilla or a small whole wheat tortilla, add salsa, roll and heat.
- English Muffin Pizza: Top whole grain English Muffin half with tomato sauce, lowfat cheese, bell pepper strips and pineapple tidbits.
- Spread whole grain crackers with hummus or almond butter, natural peanut butter, or pumpkin seed butter
- Small bowl of shredded wheat cereal with sliced banana on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Healthy Children Snacks: Recipes They Can Prepare Themselves
- Homemade trail mix: Mix dried fruit (ex.: raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.) + nuts/seeds (ex.: almonds, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, etc.), + lowfat granola
- Spoon homemade trail mix (as above) over lowfat yogurt or layer in a parfait glass.
- Turkey roll ups: Roll up turkey spread with hummus in a Romaine lettuce leaf.
- Almond Butter Balls:
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- Mix honey and almond butter together, add dry milk and then oatmeal. Roll dough into 24 balls and refrigerate.
Easy Children Snacks That are "Grabby:"
- lowfat string cheese
- lowfat fruit flavored yogurt
- hard boiled eggs
- turkey jerky or salmon jerky
- Edamame (green soybeans)
- nuts and seeds
- cherry tomatoes
- whole grain cereal such as Shredded Wheat
More children snacks (or easy adult snacks!)
More of My Professional Advice You May Find Useful
Nutrition For Kids
Healthy Quick Meal Ideas
Your Personal Nutrition Guide Home Page